Updated: Jun 29
If you're a professional services firm that's just come through a pandemic and faced a significant labor shortage, you're not alone. Many businesses are finding it difficult to match their labor, skills, and resources to the increased demand for services. Unfortunately, this has resulted in negative impacts, such as late projects, delivery difficulties, and struggling to maintain margins. An effective cost-reduction strategy will help you boost your sales and keep your business on track. Let’s dive in:
Cost-Reduction Strategy: 2 Options
As mentioned earlier, professional services firms have been struggling to maintain their margins due to a shortage of skilled labor and resources, which can negatively impact project delivery and ultimately lead to lower revenues. However, there are 2 key options that firms can consider in order to improve their cost-reduction strategy: transforming their business to an outcome-based model or offering knowledge as a service.
The first option involves transforming the business model to focus on client outcomes rather than the traditional time and materials engagement. This means streamlining operations and the back office to be more efficient and effective, improving service delivery, and being able to estimate costs based on outcomes rather than just the amount of time spent on a project. This approach can help firms deliver higher quality services that are more closely aligned with the needs of their clients, ultimately leading to improved sales and higher revenues.
The second option involves offering knowledge as a service, which involves moving away from the traditional time and materials engagements to a subscription-based or retainer-based model. This approach provides clients with access to a digitized workforce that can help them achieve their desired outcomes. Examples of knowledge as a service include online training and certification programs, online consulting services, and digital marketing campaigns. By providing clients with access to a wide range of knowledge and expertise, firms can build stronger relationships with their clients and increase their sales performance.
Experience the Benefits of Expert Growth Coaching Today
The Impact of Technology on Sales Performance and Cost-Reduction Strategy
The use of technology in the delivery or operations of professional services firms can be a game changer for their sales performance. One key advantage of technology is the ease of scaling that it provides. By leveraging technology, firms can deliver services to a larger number of clients without necessarily having to hire additional staff. This means that firms can achieve greater revenue growth and profitability without incurring the high costs associated with hiring and training new employees.
Another advantage of technology in professional services firms is the potential for better margins. This is because technology can help firms to streamline their operations, reduce the need for manual processes, and eliminate inefficiencies. This can lead to cost savings and improved profitability, as well as a more efficient and effective service delivery process. By using technology to optimize their operations, firms can free up resources to focus on higher-value tasks and ultimately improve their sales performance.
6 Ways AI Can Help With Your Cost-Reduction Strategy
Artificial intelligence (AI) is revolutionizing the professional services industry, and firms that can harness its potential stand to gain a significant competitive advantage. Here are 6 ways that professional services firms can improve their profitability and cost-reduction strategy with AI:
1. Digitize the back office: By digitizing their back-office processes, firms can automate routine tasks and free up staff to focus on higher-value activities. For example, firms can use AI to automate tasks, such as data entry, scheduling meetings, invoicing, and payment processing.
2. Project management: According to Gartner, by 2030, 80% of today's project management work will be eliminated by AI. AI can help firms to analyze large amounts of project data by using machine learning algorithms to identify patterns and relationships in the data. For example, an AI system could analyze data from past projects, including timelines, budgets, team performance, and other metrics, to identify which factors have the greatest impact on project success. By identifying these key factors, the AI system could provide insights and recommendations to project managers and team members on how to improve project delivery and efficiency. There are also technologies that enable the completion of tasks like scheduling meetings, summarizing action items, and emailing deliverables to clients without the manual intervention of a project manager.
3. Digital service packaging: Firms can package their services with software, AI, analytics, and hosting to create a complete offering with repeatable delivery. This can help firms to grow their revenue without adding additional staff. For example, AI can create a summary of action items created during a client meeting and send a detailed list to all relevant stakeholders immediately following the meeting.
4. Low/no-code solutions: Low or no-code solutions can help firms to configure software without the need for technical expertise. This can accelerate solution deployment and improve margins by reducing the need for additional staff.
5. AI administration support: Firms can use AI to automate tasks, such as contract management, reviewing and correcting invoices, financial forecasting, and compliance monitoring.
6. Optimizing sales and marketing: Machine learning and other AI can help firms to score leads and automatically follow up with potential clients. Additionally, language processing can help to make marketing functions more productive, leading to better conversion rates on leads. AI can also be used to provide robust analysis of sales and profits and improve the efficiency of the sales process.
By leveraging AI in these 6 areas, firms can improve efficiency, reduce costs, and ultimately grow their business.
Opportunities for Leveraging AI and Technology for Cost Reduction
In conclusion, the professional services industry is facing significant challenges in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and labor shortages. However, there are opportunities for firms to leverage AI and other technologies. By digitizing their back-office processes, using AI to automate routine tasks, and providing digital service packaging, firms can do a lot more with less labor. Additionally, low or no-code solutions, AI administration support, and optimizing sales and marketing with AI can also help to improve efficiency and reduce costs. Ultimately, these technologies offer promise to professional services organizations to streamline their operations and improve their bottom line without adding additional staff.
Improving SG&A (Selling, General, and Administrative Expenses) is also important, and firms that can successfully add tech and reduce labor costs stand to gain a significant competitive advantage in the years ahead. SG&A represents the costs incurred by a company in its day-to-day operations, including sales and marketing expenses, administrative and office expenses, and other miscellaneous costs not directly related to producing or delivering goods or services. It is an important measure of a company's profitability, as it reflects the expenses necessary to maintain and grow its operations.
Boost Sales Performance With ALTA Consulting's AI Solutions
If you are looking for strategies to reduce your overhead and maximize the profitability of your professional services firm, consider leveraging AI and other technologies to streamline your operations and reduce labor costs. ALTA Consulting can help you explore the possibilities of digitizing your back-office processes, automating routine tasks, and providing digital service packaging, all while improving SG&A. By adopting low or no-code solutions and using AI administration support, you can optimize your sales and marketing efforts and improve your overall profitability. We also have some great resources for service package productization and managing utilization bill rates to help you keep an edge.
Don't let labor shortages and pandemic-related challenges hold you back. Contact ALTA Consulting today to learn how you can take advantage of the latest technologies to gain a competitive edge in your industry. Don't wait, take action now!